As a child, you probably went to the same dentist your parents did for checkups. Perhaps the dental team treated you as a small adult, not explaining much about what was going to happen and whether or not it would hurt. Maybe you had a parent who feared dental visits, and you absorbed that fear.
At Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics of Virginia, we know as a parent you want to instill healthy habits in your child as early as possible. And one healthy habit you particularly wish to cultivate in your children is taking good care of their teeth. Fortunately, many pediatric dental practices are available now who have philosophy and treatment protocols uniquely suited to children. What you need to find…is the “right” pediatric dentist.
Choosing the right dental practice means finding a team who is dedicated to the oral health of children from infancy through the teen years, who respond to you and your child’s concerns from birth through the teen years. Pediatric dentists have invested in additional specialized training beyond dental school to provide children and their parents the most state-of-the-art pediatric care treatment options. So, which attributes may characterize the best pediatric dentistry practice for your little one?
Welcoming Waiting Room with Child-Oriented Decor
Consider the atmosphere of the waiting room as you enter it. It should have an inviting atmosphere to children, with bright colors and a playroom with toys. If the team makes a special effort to make your child feel welcome and special, their solicitousness helps ensure a positive experience for both of you.
- Kid-friendly waiting room and dental furniture, built at their level, makes them feel, “I belong here.” Parents should also have comfortable seating.
- Other waiting room features which help ease your child into the experience include books, toys and games.
- By completing your new-patient forms online before your visit, you will be more relaxed and free to encourage your child.
Friendly and Dedicated Dental Team
Observe how dental team members in various roles interact with children in the waiting room and in the dental chair. Everyone should be pleasant, patient and kind. Watch how dental team members handle children who are upset, scared or unwilling to sit down. Pediatric dentists are also trained to serve special-needs children. Remember:
- Prompt service, attention and courteous treatment are always appreciated by patients, big and little. A pediatric practice especially should welcome you and your child and be attentive to both your needs. Good pediatric dentists like to form relationships with their patients and their parents which are long-lasting and based on trust.
- Note whether your child’s dentist and hygienist allot time during his or her visits to teach and reinforce superior oral care habits. The best pediatric dentists promote proper tooth care, knowing that good habits established early and reinforced positively tend to last. They encourage prevention over constant repair.
Choose the Right Office
Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics of Virginia strives to make your little one’s dental experience a successful one which boosts his confidence. We make you feel at ease from the moment your family arrives at our office. Our welcoming waiting room offers an opportunity to get used to the office and the experience, so that your child does not feel rushed or overwhelmed.
Our professional and kind staff also make the difference. Our range of dental services is designed to serve the unique needs of children, down to the smaller size of our dental instruments. As a bi-specialty practice, we also offer orthodontic treatment for children and adults, should your child or children need braces. We practice in two convenient Richmond locations, Midlothian and Colonial Heights. Please contact us at (804) 739-0963 or schedule online to book an appointment with one of our four skilled and gentle pediatric dentists.